Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kingdom Hearts

I've discovered that I actually enjoy the music of one Lady GaGa. A few years ago (sophomore year at MSU), I would have immediately dismissed Ms. GaGa and her infectious dance-pop as very little more than music of the moment. I no longer believe this is the case. Do I think her music is (maybe) insanely materialistic, narcissistic and some other word that ends in -stic? Yes. This does not change the simple fact that each of Ms. GaGa's singles force me to dance-a-fool. True story.

Myra Lewis, you inspired me to begin writing this blog. If I can be 1/10th as thoughtful and, can I say, deliberate in this blog as you are in yours, I will be pleased.

My sister turned 21 a week ago...don't even ask me how old that makes me feel...okay, not really that old, but still. She can now order booze of her own accord in public. The world is most definitely a different place.

Grad School is exactly what everyone cracks it up to be. People who have experience with grad school will tell you about the difficulty, the sheer amount of work and responsibility, and the exhaustion. A former advisor once (accurately) stated: "There will be moments in grad school when you will feel like you can't get everything done that you need to. But you will. And it was good." (forgive the loose quoting and the inane biblical reference...). I'm at a point right now where school, work and outside commitments are demanding nearly all of me...I am finding little time to reflect on what I want to do, who I am, or begin playing the guitar/writing music like my entire body is telling me I should...STOP.

(i really should refuse to complain...I am taking advantage of so many opportunities and meeting so many people...I know that I am going to be not only a different person, but a better one at the end of this experience...right?)

It has been a long time since a film has really floored me. I mean, completely changed my life, my perspective, my world view floored me. Sure, Avatar was great, but I really miss having independent film in my town. The Moxie afforded me the opportunity to see so many films I would have missed otherwise...Happy-Go-Lucky, Let the Right One In, Margot at the Wedding, Venus, Volver, Me, You and Someone We Know...not to mention the opportunity to screen an awesomely awesome student film titled This Ends Now. Bloomington is seriously lacking in thoughtful film department. And I feel entirely disconnected.

I for real did not mean to make this one big crap session. For real. Seriously Myra, I need you to teach me your inborn art of subtlety and class...

1 comment: